Tested to EN250A the XL4 had to be able to supply air at 50m at 2°C including an octo and has a light breathe of just 0.9J/l at 1°C. Over balanced diaphragm design means it will actually be able to deliver more gas at depth than it would at the surface.
Weighing in at a tiny 905g (DIN version), the XL4 is their lightest ever cold-water regulator. Light on weight doesn’t mean light on features though. This compact regulator includes Apek's latest cold-water innovation, an over-moulded first stage endcap that reduces ice build-up around the first stage. This technology greatly reduces the risk of a free flow in low temperatures. Cold water performance is further improved by heat exchangers on the first and second stage.
Ideal for technical divers looking to reduce the weight of their setup, the XL4 can also be used as a neat and compact regulator for stage cylinders, perfect for the technical exploration diver with a large amount of equipment.
The XL4 is a high-performance option for divers serious about weight savings.
The Apeks XL4 is a compact lightweight regulator suitable for diving in all environments including cold water locations. Its design and low weight help reduce jaw fatigue on long dives. The XL4 also makes an ideal stage regulator, perfect for the technical exploration diver with a large amount of equipment. The XL4 is a high performance option for those technical divers serious about weight savings.
Features and Benefits
- Compact machined 1st stage based on the expedition tested Apeks DS4 platform.
- Break through, innovative over-moulded first-stage endcap & environmental diaphragm helps prevent ice build-up that can cause first stage free flow in extreme circumstances. Also
- protects the first stage from impact damage.
- Large surface area heat exchanger diaphragm clamp helps increase the gas temperature inside the 1st stage, resulting in improved cold water performance.
- Unique over-balanced diaphragm design – as the diver descends, the over-balancing feature
- allows the medium pressure gas in the hose to increase at a faster rate than ambient. This results in superior performance at depth.
- Compact and lightweight 2nd stage improves comfort and helps reduce jaw fatigue on long duration dives.
- High performance pneumatically balanced lever operated poppet valve.
- Large, over moulded self-flushing and controllable purge button.
- Ergonomic Venturi lever is easy to use and locate.
- Flexible nylon braided hose has better cold water performance than traditional rubber hose.
- Standard metallic hose connection for interchangeability.
- Comfo-bite mouthpiece has a unique bridge that fits across the upper palate and does not require bite pressure to stay in place.
- Re-useable mouthpiece clip makes it simple to change mouthpieces in the field.
- Durable and flexible rubber exhaust tee provides excellent bubble diversion.
While the XL4 was originally designed for technical divers it will be great for any diver due to it's simple design and function and its performance in any environment. The 1st stage has all the features you need for a single, twin or stage cylinder setup unless you want to dive with a SPG and transmitter on a single as it only has one high pressure port.
The second stage has a light but solid feel to it with a strong purge button with a positive feel to it. The only adjustment you have is a Venturi lever but many don't use breathing adjustment after the first couple dives.
Bottom line if you're a British diver who dives at home but also wants to travel occasionally or a travelling diver who wants to dive in the UK occasionally the XL4 will be a great regulator for you.
XL4 Stage 3 £479.00
XL4 Stage 4 £540.00