PADI Self Reliant Diver
The purpose of the Self-Reliant Diver specialty course is to recognise and accept the role of the buddy system and its contributions to diver safety while identifying and developing self-reliance and independence while diving. There are two reasons for an experienced diver to take the Self-Reliant diver course:
- To develop the skills of planning and carrying out dives without a partner when preferred or necessary.
- To sharpen skills of diving self-reliance, making the diver a stronger partner in a dive pair or team.
What you will achieve:
1) Appreciation of the value and application of the buddy system.
2) Philosophy of, and motivation for, diving without a partner.
3) Potential risks of diving alone and how to manage those risks.
4) The value of equipment redundancy and what back-up equipment is needed.
5) Dive planning and gas management.
The course includes Knowledge Development, skills assessment and 3 Open Water dives. The course usually runs over one day with some prior learning requirements.
This course may be undertaken with the following equipment configuration:
- Standard Scuba equipment with redundant gas source, i.e. a pony cylinder.
- Back mounted twin-set with isolator manifold of sufficient capacity.
- Two side mounted, independent cylinders (sidemount configuration).
We have a range of technical diving equipment for hire for use on the course. Twin sets and sidemount configurations can be hired to suitably qualified/experienced divers. Nitrox may be used in both stages and back gas at additional cost. Open water site entry fees and transportation are not included.
You must be a certified PADI Advanced Open Water Diver (or equivalent), aged 18 or over, with a minimum of 100 logged dives and complete a skills assessment with the Instructor.
All our open water diving is conducted in drysuits. You may wear your own drysuit, semi-dry or wetsuit. It is advisable that you are comfortable with drysuit diving prior to engaging in technical diver training. If you do not have experience of drysuit diving you may wish to consider undertaking drysuit training with us prior to the course.
Self Reliant Speciality
Using Own Equipment
Using Own Equipment
Dive Rutland is a 100% AWARE Partner, which means we make a donation on your behalf to Project Aware and you get a Project AWARE certification card